Friday 1 August 2014

Getting into Running ♡

I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm very lazy.  Over the past year or so, the stress of juggling A Levels with a part time job has meant I haven't been massively conscious of my health and fitness.  From the ages of eleven to fifteen I was training and competing in synchronised swimming.  During that time I was training, both in and out of the pool, six days a week, a few hours each day.  I used to be extremely fit, so when I had to stop training due to joint problems, my fitness levels dropped very quickly.  Since then, I haven't bothered with attempting to get my fitness back up, since it just wasn't something I felt I needed to do.

In the past few weeks I've decided to change this and get back into running.  Doing the Race for Life is what has kicked this off I think, as I signed up for it, not really thinking about having to actually run 5k, then panicking a few weeks before.  I didn't run the entire thing, I jogged about half and brisk walked the rest.

I know a lot of people are trying to do the same as me, and since I used to train competitively in a sport, I thought I could offer some advice for getting fit.  I'm using the NHS Couch to 5k Podcast, which I'm loving!  I'm currently on week 3, and finding it a great way to build my stamina up.  I would really recommend it if you want to get running.  It takes nine weeks to complete the entire program, and you do three runs a week, leaving a rest day in between each.  Anyway, here are some tips for getting into running!

Don't expect too much from yourself.
The first time I went out I was so annoyed at myself for barely being able to jog for sixty seconds without getting out of breath. If you haven't done a lot of physical exercise before, your body isn't going to suddenly run for twenty minutes with no problems.  Take it slowly and don't push yourself too much - you'll get to where you want to be eventually.

Be prepared to put time in.
If you haven't exercised much prior to now, getting your fitness up may take some time - it's not going to happen overnight.  It might take a while, but you will see changes - even if it's just not being so out of breath after running for the bus!  It's a long road, but worth it!

Getting fit doesn't have to cost a lot.
The gym seems like a good idea when you're attempting to get fit - until you look at the membership fees!  I do exercises like sit ups and crunches in my tiny box room, and go out running around my neighborhood.  Be creative with the spaces you have - there's probably a space in your area that'd be great for exercise.

Get a running partner.
I go running with my mum.  I find it motivates me to go out and not to stop once I'm running.  I'm not sure why it works, but having a running partner can be super helpful.  It's nice to feel like you're sharing a task with someone else!

Run to music.
I use the couch to 5k podcast, but you could use any music of your choice.  It helps to set a pace and take your mind off what you're actually doing!

Those are my tips!  Hope you find them helpful, and good luck if you too are trying to get fit!

 What's your favourite way to get fit?


  

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your points Ella! Dont push yourself too hard, do what you can do! I do swimming, :)

    Rebecca | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great tips! I have recently been getting into working out and running as well and it just makes me feel great :)

    Michelle from www.glassow.com

    ReplyDelete