Tuesday 25 February 2014

Baking Time: Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Cake ♡

Hey there!
Well I said I'd be back with something a bit different - today I've got a recipe for you!  I'm gluten intolerant, which I can't say I'm pleased about, but it means I've got really into baking lately since I can't eat most things you buy in a supermarket (apart from in the allergy sections).  I've trialed making a few of my own gluten free foods, and I can say gluten free bread is just not the same as the real thing, but this cake on the other hand is amazing!  You honestly wouldn't know it's not a normal sponge.  There will be/is a video of me and my lovely friend Man Yee making this cake on her YouTube channel, which I will add into this post when it's up!

Here's the cake me and Man Yee made!


Anyway -  here's the recipe!


Ingredients: 
  • 200g butter or margarine
  • 200g caster sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g gluten free self raising white flour (I use one from Doves Farm)
  • 3 tsps cocoa powder
  • 3 tsps milk
Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/350°F/Gas 4

Method:
  1. Beat together the butter/margarine and sugar.  I use an electronic food mixer to make this (shown in the video) but you can easily do it with a spoon - it just takes a bit longer!
  2. Now beat in the eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and milk.  Keep mixing until it looks smooth - don't be put off if it doesn't seem quite like 'normal' cake mix, once it's cooked you won't know the difference!
  3. Now line or oil two cake tins and pour the mixture into both, so both tins contain an even amount.
  4. Bake in a preheated oven for 20/25 minutes.
  5. Leave to cool on a wire rack before making icing! 

Now it's time to make the icing!

Ingredients:
  • 50g dark chocolate
  • 100g unsalted butter (get this out the fridge a while before you need it, so it;s soft enough)
  • 200g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp milk
Method:
  1. Put the chocolate in a bowl over a small pan of simmering water.  Stir gently until the chocolate is melted.  Now allow this to cool off before doing anything else.
  2. Beat the butter until it's soft.  Now gradually add the icing sugar and beat that in.  
  3. Add vanilla extract and beat again.
  4. Next add the melted chocolate and fold it in until everything is fully combined.
  5. Add the milk if the mixture is stiff.
  6. Spread the icing on one of the sponges, then put the other on the top, and spread the icing on the top layer as well.  I usually spread any left over icing around the sides of the cake.
Now it's time to decorate!  We put Daim and melted white chocolate on top of ours. Yum!!

Good luck baking!  See you next time, love from

No comments:

Post a Comment